Tilly and the Buttons Dressmaking Pattern: Bettine
PERFECT FOR BEGINNERS!
Make your own dress with help from this easy-to-use sewing pattern.
Bettine is an easy-peasy throw-it-over-your-head dress. It has a blousy bodice with scoop neckline, kimono sleeves which hang softly around the underarm, turn-up cuffs, elasticated waistline to cinch you in and flattering tulip skirt.
The plain skirt version is a perfect project for beginners, as it's simple to sew, with no fiddly darts, fastenings or set-in sleeves - yay! More experienced? Try the pocket skirt version and optional cuff tabs for a speedy, satisfying project.
Like all Tilly and the Buttons sewing patterns, Bettine includes jargon-busting instructions, helpful sewing tips, and colour photos showing you each step – making it easy for you to create gorgeous clothes you can be proud to say you made yourself.
FABRIC SUGGESTIONS - Light- to medium-weight drapey fabrics, such as viscose (rayon), cotton voile, lawn or chambray. If you’re a confident stitcher, try a delicate crêpe or georgette.
- Fabric – 2m (2 ¼ yards) x 150cm (60in) wide OR 3m (3 ¼ yards) x 115cm (45in) wide
- Matching thread
- Your waist measurement in 9-12mm (1/2in) wide elastic
- 0.3m (1/2 yard) iron-on interfacing (similar weight to your fabric)
- Optional: 2 x 1.5-2cm (5/8-3/4in) buttons for cuff tabs
- Medium-large safety pin
- Sewing machine and basic tools